Social Security Card

Click here to return to Establishing Your Identity  

There is no cost to get your Social Security Card.  To get a new card, replacement card, or change the name on the card you have, you must complete form SS-5, visit your local Social Security office, or call 1-800-772-1213.  Information about local offices as well as all forms are located at the Social Security Website.


You must have proof of your identity to get a Social Security Card

  • New Card -To obtain a new card, documents that show age, citizenship or lawful alien status, and who you are (i.e., birth certificate and school record) are required.

  • Replacement Card -To obtain a replacement card, one identifying document is required.

  • Name Change -To change your name, documentation showing old name and new name is required.  Photocopies of identification documents and notarized copies are not accepted. Original documents or copies certified by the custodian of the record must be submitted.  If you were born outside the United States , you also must show proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.

If you do not have a birth certificate, driver’s license or state ID, you may be able to use other identification, such as a military, school, job or health insurance.